(G.N.S) Dt. 28
The fifth day of the ongoing Games started off on a disappointing note as the Rani Rampal-led India women’s hockey team lost 4-1 against reigning Olympic gold medallists Great Britain. PV Sindhu added a positive spin to the day by progressing to the round-of-16 with a second straight win in badminton women’s singles Group J. She defeated Hong Kong’s NY Cheung in straight sets: 21-9, 21-16 in little more than half-an-hour. In archery, Pravin Jadhav stunned the World Number 2 Galsan Bazarzhapov in his first round but then lost to World Number 1 Brady Ellison.
– Tarundeep Rai beats Oleksii Hunbin (Ukraine) 6-4 in men’s individual first round match; loses to Itay Shanny (Israel) in shoot-off in second round.
– Pravin Jadhav beats Galsan Bazarzhapov (Russian Olympic Committee) 6-0 in men’s individual first round; loses to Brady Ellison (USA) 0-6 in second round.
– Deepika Kumari beats Karma (Bhutan) 6-0 in women’s individual first round match; beats Jennifer Mucino-Fernandez (USA) 6-4 in second round.
– P V Sindhu beats NY Cheung (Hong Kong) 21-9 21-16 in women’s singles group J match. Qualifies for pre-quarterfinals.
– B Sai Praneeth lost to M Caljouw (Netherlands) 14-21 14-21 in men’s singles Group D match. Fails to qualify for pre-quarterfinals.
– Pooja Rani beats Ichrak Chaib (Algeria) in women’s 75kg round of 16 bout.
– India loses 1-4 to Great Britain in women’s Pool A match.
Tarundeep Rai won his first contest but eventually lost to Israel’s Itay Shanny 5-6 in the round-of-32 of the men’s individual event. Out of contention for medals, Arjun Lal Jat and Arvind Singh finished sixth in the semi-final A of lightweight men’s double sculls in rowing with a timing of 6:24.41, creating Olympic history for India in the process.